5G-Xcast is a project of the phase-II of the 5G Infrastructure Public Private Partnership (5G-PPP). The project will focus on the holistic implementation of multicast/broadcast point-to-multipoint as a critical technology element in 5G systems in addition and as a complement to unicast point-to-point; and it will devise, assess and demonstrate a conceptually novel and forward-looking 5G network architecture for large scale immersive media delivery. The main objectives of the project are:
- To develop broadcast and multicast point to multipoint capabilities for 5G considering automotive, Internet-of-Things (IoT), Media & Entertainment (M&E), and Public Warning Systems (PWS) use cases, and evaluate 5G spectrum allocation options for 5G broadcasting.
- To design a dynamically adaptable 5G network architecture with layer independent network interfaces capable of dynamically and seamlessly switching between unicast, multicast and broadcast modes or use them in parallel and exploiting built-in caching capabilities.
- To experimentally demonstrate the 5G key innovations developed in the project for the M&E and PWS verticals
5G-Xcast is funded by the European Commission (EC) in the H2020 call 5G-PPP “Research and Validation of Critical Technologies and Systems” (ICT-07-2017) with grant number 761498.
A one-day tutorial on 5G-Xcast will be held on Tuesday 5th June 2018.
The tutorial is addressed to academia and industry players interested in future 5G networks and broadcast media distribution. Students interested in careers wireless and broadcast communications are also welcome to attend the tutorial.
Preliminary Tutorial Program:
- Context 5G and IMT2020, 5G-PPP and H2020
- The challenge of Point-to-Multipoint delivery in 5G
- Introduction to the 5G-Xcast project
- 5G-Xcast Use Cases
- 5G-Xcast Radio Access Network
- 5G-Xcast Converged Core Network Architecture and Management
- 5G-Xcast Content Distribution Framework
- Test-Beds Integration, Validation and Demonstration
- Future Work and Next Steps